Sunday 19 March 2017

Foyled?

Browsing through 'kept' cartoons today, I came across a photocopy of a Bulletin page (108) of August 11, 1981. Among other things, a cartoon by the inimitable Lindsay Foyle took pride of place at the top of the centre column.

A day or so ago, I was lauding (not for the first time) the simplicity of Frank Winter's cartoons. I've always admired 'toonies who are able to carry a gag with the absolutely least quantity of drawn lines. Now I realize my admiration of that talent goes back at least 36 years, because this example of MR. Foyle's work would only have been kept for that reason.

Thus, this post is a tribute not only to the brevity of Lindsay's art, but also the fact that his style of drawing then is virtually the same as today's work. In that same frame I've had more drawing style changes than square meals. Great work Lindsay!


No comments:

Post a Comment